I'll have a scone...or three

Scones, oh, scones. Why didn't we meet sooner? Auntie M (Sweet P's Godmother) visited in October of 2008 (Sweet P was a wee little peanut in my belly) and made us fabulous lavender scones and lavender honey butter. This was our first introduction to scones. The Farmer ate so many he made himself sick.

We've since had scones only 2 more times, why!$@? What is wrong with me? Why would I not make these things more often? I have no answer for that, but I did realize today as I was pondering blueberry muffins as the snack for our playdate that scones would be WAY better and just as easy (I made mini blueberry muffins for the kiddos). And to be honest, I didn't even try to make these healthy. You shouldn't mess with scones.

Blueberry Scones
4 cups all purpose flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp sugar
1 stick + 2 tbsp cold butter cut into chunks (unsalted, this is important)
3/4 c soy milk
2 eggs
1 c fresh or frozen blueberries
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or 2 forks) until the mixture looks crumby (not crummy). Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl and add to dry ingredients until moistened. Turn dough (it will be messy) onto a floured surface and knead in blueberries (again, a bit of a mess). Pull the dough in half and form 2 balls. Pat into a thick circle, then cut into 8 wedges with a pizza cutter. Place on greased baking sheets and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375˚ for 18-20 minutes.

Most scone recipes call for salt, but I rarely put salt in baking recipes. You can't taste it and it's silly to me (why are using unsalted butter then, hmm?). And trust me, unsalted butter makes a HUGE difference. You can use regular milk instead of soy milk (that was my only worry, but it worked just fine). Scones will be flaky, that's normal. So whip up a batch, guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Let's just go ahead and call this month what it is. Unhealthy. Or Savory. Or filled with scrumptious things that are otherwise known as treats.

But don't stop reading if you want healthy recipes. I'll get back on track one of these days!