Hummus

Can I just tell you how much I Lover (with a capital L) hummus? I do. Very much. And not just as a dip. Hummus makes the perfect filler for a sandwich. Yum-o-yum. I'd be salivating while writing this if I wasn't eating one of these sandwiches at this very moment!

If you don't like hummus, I'm sad for you. But if you do, try out this recipe for homemade hummus (much better than that store bought stuff, and you know what's going in).

I'm not sure what I haven't shared this with you before. It's good stuff.

The Recipe: Hummus

2 cans (or 2 1/2 cups cooked) garbanzo beans
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice (add more if necessary)
1 tbsp tahini

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Serve!

Sometimes I add the olive oil a little bit at a time until I get the consistency I'm looking for or you can do this with the lemon juice. Sometimes I like it thick, other times I like it creamier. It's perfect for dipping veggies or pita wedges. And sandwiches!

Hummus sandwich
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 tbsp hummus
3-4 pickle slices
2 slices tomato
handful of spinach
1 small mushroom

Chop the mushroom into thin slices. Spread hummus on both sides of the bread, add tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and pickles. Put it together and let the noshing begin.

This is a great, healthy alternative to peanut butter and jelly or grilled cheese (our options are limited as vegetarians!). Yum. Well, what are you waiting for?

PS. I would have posted a picture, but I finished off the sandwich by the time I finished this post. It was just that good.