Simple DIY Felt Food


I'm kind of a lazy crafter. What I mean by that is that I look for the easiest way possible to do things. I look for the simplest way from A to B (that's kind of an inside joke, sorry). Ok, where was I? Right! Felt food. I've been wanting to make some for Sweet P for oh, ya know, MONTHS, but have always been afraid of the sewing aspect. I can sew. Sorta, but not in that fancy hand-sewn-strawberry kinda way. Anyway, it scared me. Then I saw some fabulous felt food that involved NO sewing! Just scissors! And I thought, "Ooh boy, that is my kinda felt project." I still put off making it until Tuesday afternoon when Sweet P pulled her high chair into the living room, sat her baby doll in it and wanted to feed her. I gave her a celery stick, but then thought "Hey! Perfect opportunity to make felt food!" (And it kept her occupied while I whipped up dinner!)

To start I cut out two pieces of bread, a tomato, a piece of lettuce and a slice of swiss cheese (I know swiss cheese is white, work with me here). She LOVED it. I swear that kid stacked that sandwich every which way possible, pretended to take bites, fed her baby, fed the Farmer. It was perfect.
The next day I added to her sandwich and cut out pickles, an onion, a tortilla/pizza crust/wrap and a tiny piece of red pepper (that has since been lost). I also cut out 2 pieces of rye bread (darker brown), peanut butter and jelly. She stacked it all together and had a felt wrap for lunch (just kidding).
Later that night I thought she needed something that looked like a real slice of pepper and not a tiny C-shaped piece so I cut out a green and a red pepper. I cut a red piece that slightly resembles marinara sauce and 3 tiny mushrooms for a pizza.
Needless to say, she has a ball with it and I can't believe it took me so long to do this! I free handed them (again, because I was too lazy to draw a pattern) and used felt scraps. This is SUCH an easy project and I truly believe anyone with scissors can do it, even a child who is scissor ready could have a ball making his/her own felt food!

Let me know if you make your own! I'd love to see it!

Click here to see where I'm linking up.