My Lenten Resolution

I chose a tough one this year, but one that I know will challenge me. I'm looking forward to the challenge and really excited to see how my faith grows through this Lenten season while giving up the internet. Yep. I'm giving up the internet. Because I can't quite go without checking my email for 6 weeks, I'll pop in on Sundays to check emails, update the blog, check meetup (that's how we schedule our playdates!) and print out any recipes I need for the week.

When I first mentioned that I was thinking of giving up the internet for Lent, the Farmer said, "I don't think you can do it." Right after that he said, "No, I think you can do it, but it's going to be a really big challenge." It's definitely going to be a challenge, but isn't the point of a Lenten resolution to abstain from something we indulge in? When I think about the suffering Jesus endured, giving up the internet seems petty. My hope, however, is that this 6 weeks of abstaining from the internet will strengthen my relationship with God. Giving up internet time will also increase the amount of time the Farmer and I spend together while the kids are asleep.

Giving up the internet will also encourage me to plan and organize our weeks a bit better. I've already started menu planning (something I haven't been good about) so that I can shop for the items I'll need for new recipes we'll be trying. I've also started making a list of things from Pinterest I want to make, try or do with Sweet P. At first, I was really anxious about giving up the internet, but the more I thought and prayed about it, the more I realized that it was definitely the thing I needed to give up. It's something I rely on, turn to and obsess about from time to time. I stay up too late and get mad at myself in the morning.

Because to be honest, I spend too much time on the internet. I'm hoping that by giving up the internet 6 days a week, I'll be less reliant on it. I do have a few concerns, especially if it involves a recipe or directions, but I've also reminded myself that mothers have lived for thousands of years without the internet! If I need directions I can pick up the phone and I can always choose another recipe.

I don't have a smart phone so that's a plus. I do, however, have Facebook on my phone and the ability to check my email so I will be disabling the internet on my phone for the next 6 weeks. This is HUGE! I check my email constantly from my phone so that'll be difficult!

I'm doing my best to schedule posts so that the blog continues while I'm away and I have a few awesome guest posters lined up as well. I can't wait to share them with you!

Have a great Ash Wednesday! This post was scheduled on Sunday so my internet break has already begun!