Happy Trails Trail Mix

I just might be my own hero this week. I attempted, completed and survived a 12 hour car trip. With both kiddos. Alone. Not to toot my own horn, but "toot, toot!" I'm pretty darn proud of myself.

And I only lost my mind once. Just kidding.

I was hoping we'd only have to stop 3 times, but it ended up being 6. An extra one for Baby Blue to eat again and twice for Miss Sweet P who, of course, had to go poop 20 minutes after the previous stop.

But we made it! And the kids did great. Look for an upcoming post about the activities, games and tips I used to survive the trip.

All that to say that we made some delish trail mix before we went and Sweet P started asking for it, oh, 2 minutes into the trip. She helped me make the healthy treat and it did not disappoint! Here's what we put in it!
The Recipe: Happy Trails Trail Mix

What you need:

  • 2 tbsp dried cranberries 
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 2 tbsp dried pineapple (with no added sugar)
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
  • 1 tbsp dried shaved coconut
  • 2 tbsp almonds
  • 1 tbsp peanuts
  • 1/2 c puffed wheat (sold in a bag in the cereal aisle)
Add all ingredients to a large bowl or plastic baggy. Stir or shake until well-combined. Store in air-tight container or baggy for your trip. Or just make some to have any time!
So good and full of fiber and protein. I made a bag for myself, but omitted the puffed wheat and coconut and added chocolate chips. YUM!