Snickerdoodle Scones


Remember last summer when I chastised myself for not making scones more often? Well, I hadn't made them since that post until last Wednesday. I had a Pull-Up Potty Party at my house and decided that was a grandiose occasion that called for scones. I wanted something special so I googled around until I found a few to my liking and then added some things here and there. These scones are delish, but, to risk sounding like Paula Dean, they needed more buttah. Cuz ya'll, all pastries are better with more buttah. Also, my friend Amy thought I should name them Snickerdoodle scones since they tasted quite a bit like those yummy cookies. So without further ado...

The Recipe: Snickerdoodle Scones w/ Cinnamon Icing

What you need:
1/4 c sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (or a couple big shakes)
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
8 tbsp cold unsalted butter (it's gotta be unsalted)
2 eggs
1/3 soy milk (or use regular)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or a fork until it looks crumby.

Beat eggs in a small bowl, then add the milk. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and combine. (I've found that mixing it works for awhile, then I just dump it out on the counter to bring it all together).

Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead 12 or more times. Form the dough into a ball, then roll out with a floured rolling pin to form a large rectangle that is about 1/2 thick.

Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 squares, then cut each square diagonally in half to create small triangles. This made about 24 mini triangles.
Place the triangles on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely before icing.

The Recipe: Cinnamon Icing

What you need:
1 c powdered sugar
dash of cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk (or more if you want runnier icing)

Combine until it forms the consistency you're looking for. Drizzle on top of cooled scones or place scones top down into icing to fully cover.

ENJOY! These were so yummy and I loved the cinnamon flavor. This recipe reflects more butter.